At first changing a nappy can seem like a daunting task for new parents, but with a little practice and good baby changing bags it becomes easier and more efficient.
Here are some basic steps to changing a nappy:
- Gather your supplies: You will need a clean nappy, baby wipes, a changing mat or clean surface, and nappy rash cream (if needed). It’s important to have everything within reach before you start, so you don’t have to leave the baby unattended. As part of your supplies have something to keep your baby entertained! Such as a small toy or even let them hold the jar of Vaseline!
- Position your baby: Lay your baby on their back on the changing mat or surface. It will save you work if you have a changing mat towel to place under your baby when changing a nappy as this can be easily cleaned in case of leaks as well as being a warmer and cosier surface for your baby to lie on! If your baby is very young, you may want to use a safety strap to keep them secure. For safety reasons never leave your baby unattended while changing a nappy even if only for a second! The only time you can take your attention off a baby while changing a nappy would be only if you are changing your baby on a changing mat that is on the floor and even then if only for a quick moment!
- Remove the dirty nappy: Open the tabs on the dirty nappy and gently lift your baby’s legs by the ankles. Use the front of the nappy to wipe away any excess poop or pee. Then, carefully slide the dirty nappy out from under your baby, and fold it up and set it aside.
- Clean your baby: Use baby wipes to gently clean your baby’s bottom, making sure to wipe from front to back for girls to avoid spreading bacteria. Lift your baby’s legs as needed to clean in all the folds and creases. When my babies nappy rash used to flare up I found that it really helped to apply a layer of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) on to the baby wipes before using them to clean my baby’s bottom as the Vaseline made the baby wipes even softer and less abrasive this was particularly helpful as as nappy rash, when flared up, can be really sore so you need to be as gentle as possible so as not to cause further pain or discomfort. Also, I used to find for a soiled nappy that the layer of Vaseline used to help catch the poop and clean it off more efficiently.
- Apply diaper rash cream: If your baby has a rash or irritated skin, apply a thin layer of diaper rash cream to the affected area. When my two babies had nappy rash I would put a generous layer of Vaseline over the nappy rash cream/Sudocream. This seemed to really help as it acts as an extra moisture barrier.
- Put on the clean nappy: Open the clean nappy and slide it under your baby’s bottom. Make sure the waistband is snug but not too tight, and fasten the tabs securely. If your baby is a boy, make sure his penis is pointing downwards to avoid leaks. Also if your baby is a boy it can be handy to keep an open spare nappy held loosely over his penis during nappy changing time in case he sprays!
- Clean up and dispose of the dirty nappy: Fold up the dirty nappy and fasten the tabs to keep any mess contained. Place the dirty nappy in a nappy bin or nappy bag for disposal.
With a little practice, changing a nappy becomes second nature, you’ll be able to do it quickly and efficiently. Nappy changing time is another opportunity for you to bond with your baby so use this time to chat, sing nursery rhymes and coo to them! Remember that It’s important to change your baby’s nappy frequently to keep them clean, dry, and comfortable.
BABY CHANGING BAG:
In order for you to change your baby’s nappy while out and about you will need a baby changing bag so that you will have everything to hand, that you need to change your baby’s nappy, with you at all times
A baby changing bag, also known as a diaper bag, is a specially designed bag that is used to carry all the essential items needed for changing a baby while on the go. It is designed to be spacious, with multiple compartments and pockets to hold diapers, wipes, changing pads, creams, and other items.
Baby changing bags may also have insulated pockets to keep bottles warm or cool, and may include space for personal items such as keys, phone, or wallet. They are usually made from durable and easy-to-clean materials such as nylon or polyester, and may come in various designs, colours, and sizes to suit different preferences.
The bag is designed to be carried over the shoulder or on the back, with comfortable straps or handles for easy transportation. Many baby changing bags are also equipped with stroller clips or hooks to attach the bag to a stroller, making it easy to access and freeing up hands.
Overall, a baby changing bag is an essential item for parents who are frequently on the go with their baby, allowing them to stay organized and prepared for any diaper changing needs that may arise.
Choosing a baby changing bag can be overwhelming, and it can be a struggle to choose the right one so I have listed some factors to consider when selecting the right one for you:
- Size: Consider the size of the bag that you will need based on your lifestyle and daily routine. A larger bag may be necessary if you are out for longer periods or need to carry more items, while a smaller bag may be sufficient for shorter trips.
- Compartments: Look for a bag with multiple compartments and pockets to keep items organized and easily accessible. Consider what items you will need to carry and ensure there is enough space for everything. A changing bag is specifically designed to carry everything you need when you’re out with your baby, such as diapers, wipes, extra clothes, bottles, and toys. This can help you avoid searching through a cluttered bag to find what you need and having all of these essentials in one place can make it more convenient for you to take care of your baby’s needs while you’re on the go.
- Durability: A good changing bag should be made from high quality durable materials, preferably water resistant and can withstand wear and tear. Look for bags made from high-quality sturdy materials which makes them more durable than regular bags. This means that they can withstand the wear and tear of daily use, and can last for a long time.
- Comfort: Choose a bag with comfortable straps or handles for easy carrying. Consider the weight of the bag and how it will feel when fully loaded. Good baby changing bags are designed with comfortable shoulder straps, which distribute the weight of the bag evenly across your shoulders. This can reduce the strain on your back and make it more comfortable for you to carry the bag for extended periods. Try to find one that can be attached to your pram or buggy so that you can keep your hands and arms free when out and about with your baby.
- Style: Many baby changing bags are designed to be stylish and fashionable, so you can carry them with you wherever you go and still look good. Some brands offer a wide range of styles, designs and colours, allowing you to choose one that suits your personal style.
- Extras: Consider any extra features you may need, such as stroller clips or an insulated pocket for bottles. Most baby changing bags come with changing mats but make certain yours does as you will need this when changing your baby on the go!
- Budget: Baby changing bags come at various price points. Decide on your budget and look for bags within that range that meet your needs.
Overall, choose a baby changing bag that is functional, durable, and meets your personal preferences and needs.
There are so many different baby changing bags to choose from in shops and on line. You could also check out the ones available on our website that are made from a very durable water-repellent and sustainable material.
I have listed a few details about our baby changing bags for you to read about in case you are considering making one of them your choice;
They are wonderfully practical baby changing bags with loads of different compartments so that everything can be well organised in individual pockets making things easier to find – take the stress out of nappy changing when out and about!
They also have a special insulated pocket for your baby’s bottle or your thermos flask helping to keep it warm or cold.
These baby changing bags are the perfect baby changing bags for prams as they can be attached to the baby stroller so you can keep your hands free!
These gorgeous baby changing bags are also the perfect eco-friendly baby product as these baby bags are made from PET – a sustainable, water-repellent, material that is very strong yet lightweight! PET is an environmentally friendly material that is recognised by health authorities around the world and is100% recyclable helping to reduce our plastic footprint!
Available in three different gorgeous prints each with a matching baby changing mat.